We want to provide an outstanding education for your child. We want every aspect of the day to be the very best that it can possibly be…An outstanding welcome, an outstanding start to the school day, outstanding playtimes, an outstanding curriculum, outstanding facilities, outstanding opportunities and outstanding learning.
Our vision is to create a school community where children excel, develop a love of learning and create magical memories that will last them a life time. There are high expectations for every child to succeed through the provision of personalised, real-life learning experiences which enable them to grow into productive and valued citizens.
Children will have success for today and be prepared for tomorrow.
Our Mission Statement
Children are central to all our endeavours. We will judge everything that takes place in the school according to its impact on the children. Decisions will be made in accordance with the prime directive that Southwark Primary School is a place of learning for the whole school community.
Our Values and Principles
- Only the best for our children
Our belief is that every child has the capacity and right to succeed. The role of our school in supporting families and children to enable academic success and social cohesion is hugely influential. Schools within Southwark Primary School must embrace British values.
- A school which reflects its community
We also believe that “one size” does not “fit all” and that our school should reflect the community it serves and the needs of our children in order to develop their thoughts, knowledge, skills and independence.
- Belief and confidence to excel
We are responsible for each other. We expect our school to achieve more by recognising and harnessing the power of individuals whilst also working as a collective. We embrace change and encourage creative, innovative and hard working individuals.
- Outstanding providers of education
We only promise what we can deliver. We do what we say we will do to meet expectations, including making tough decisions. If we make mistakes we put them right. We are clear about what we need to achieve and will strive to become an outstanding education provider for our children.
Our aims for the children subdivide into four areas which we believe are equally essential for rounded and continued growth and development throughout childhood and into adult life.
Children need to:
- Grow as citizens
- Become lifelong learners
- Develop a breadth of knowledge, skills and understanding
- Be inspired by their school experience.
Ensuring these four elements are addressed for all our children is the chief purpose of everyone who works in the school. Each and every member of the school community can make an invaluable contribution to the prime directive. By working together we can make it so.
- Becoming a good citizen.
Our children will grow as citizens by:
- learning high standards of responsible behaviour, care, co-operation, courtesy, consideration and fair play
- understanding that all people are unique and special with different talents, abilities and needs
- appreciating and celebrating differences in gender, races, ability, creed and culture
- understanding the importance of routines, boundaries and rules
- learning and caring about the social and environmental issues across the globe and within their own community
- learning to look after their bodies, keep safe and form healthy, positive relationships
- taking an active part in school decisions
- respecting themselves, the school and the wider community
- Having high expectations of themselves
- Becoming a Lifelong Learner.
Our children will become lifelong learners by:
- growing in confidence, independence and self-esteem in a safe, secure and stimulating environment
- gaining the emotional intelligence to make the right choices in our complex world of the 21st Century
- developing a wide range of thinking skills and knowing their preferred learning styles
- having a rich and diverse curricular experience including access to different teaching styles, visits and visitors
- involving their own community and family in their learning
- experiencing extra curricular activities
- valuing their own achievements and those of others, experiencing success
- developing the confidence to have a go and not fear failure
- recognising that mistakes are acceptable and one can learn from them
- valuing learning and having high expectations of themselves
- Gaining Knowledge, Skills and Understanding.
Our children will develop a breadth of knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to age and ability from the moment they arrive in Foundation to when they leave in Y6, by:
- achieving excellent standards in literacy and numeracy
- gaining excellent skills in information and communication technology
- gaining an excellent understanding of science and design technology
- developing first rate physical and sporting skills through sportsmanship and personal achievement
- gaining an excellent understanding and appreciation of geography, history, art, music and dance
- gaining an excellent understanding and appreciation of world cultures and religions
- understanding that learning is important and resisting peer pressure that it is “uncool.”
- An Inspirational School Experience.
Our children will be inspired by their school experience through:
- positive role models from adults and peers in the school
- learning through play that is age and ability appropriate
- creating and participating in art, music, dance and drama
- visiting places of special interest including the opportunity to take part in residential visits
- taking an active role in the school, local, UK and international community
- sharing in uplifting spiritual experiences
- Having fun and enjoyment
- Being an inspiration to one another.